On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Hesham Soliman (EAB) wrote:
>   > I don't disagree with the problem (but perhaps with how you
>   > treat it), but
>   > let me say it again:
>   >
>   > *THERE'S NOTHING MIPV6-SPECIFIC IN THAT*
>
> => Mobility will increase the minute probability of
> collision.

Maybe, but so does WLAN roaming without MIPv6.

> Anyway, that's not the point, you're saying
> that you disagree with the solution, what's your alternative?
> Please don't say "solve it in IPv6 WG" because that's
> not a solution.

The solution seems O.K. to me.

However, I'm not so sure this is a problem that needs fixing.

First, collisions with EUI64/RFC3041 addresses are so rare, you should not
need to care too much about them -- setting the interface down might be an
ok approach (that might alert the sysadmin to look what's wrong).  And
with statically assigned addresses, you don't want to generate a new
address, of course.

So the thing to worry about is someone performing a DoS in the link.  But
nothing prevents that local attacker from spoofing responses to *all* the
DAD attempts, not just the first one.