Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> It is my personal opinion that we should leave site-local
> addresses as-is and strictly limit their use to completely
> disconnected, isolated networks.

1) It is not possible for the IETF to restrict their use to completely
isolated networks.

2) It is not a requirement that a connected network not use them.

The only reasonable argument here is that the IETF may choose to leave
the details of such use undocumented, and not spend time addressing the
DNS issues.

> I also think that we should work on a way to offer provider-
> independent IPv6 addressing, but I think that these should be
> global addresses, not site-locals.  While it is possible that
> ISPs will not advertise these addresses in global routing
> tables, I do not think that they should be limited to a
> "site", or treated as scoped addresses (with zone IDs, etc.
> as in the scoped addressing architecture).  I think that they
> should be global addresses that may be filtered at
> administrative boundaries (and _will_ be filtered at some
> boundaries, if we can't find an aggregable way to allocate them).

I agree with the need for PI, and for those who would like to provide
comments, the current state of the updates to my approach can be found
at:
http://www.tndh.net/~tony/ietf/ipv6piaddressformat-04.txt &
http://www.tndh.net/~tony/ietf/ipv6piaddressusage-04.txt
I found a way to change the grid sizes and origin so now all of Europe
is in one logical grouping.

> I do not, personally, think that we gain much by trying to
> improve current site-locals to be more unique.

We might provide an informational document that provides guidance to
sites to randomize the upper 38 bits to avoid potential problems with
mergers later. We don't need to specify a standard mechansim, but might
suggest a couple of reasonable stratigies.

Tony