Hi Digambar,

At 04:53 PM 12/11/2002 +0530, Digambar Rasal wrote:
We usually specify Ipv4 subnet like 255.255.255.0 or /8 so . But in Ipv6
while mentioning address we specify it /64 or /48 .
As you may already know, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 is actually
a /24.  This means that the first 24 bits of the address contain
the routing information (the network and subnet identifiers) and the
last 8 bits contains the host identifier.

In IPv6, addresses are 128 bits long.  Writing out a subnet
mask in the long form would look something like this:

FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:0:0:0:0

That would be awfully cumbersome, so we don't use that notation,
only the /NN notation.  So, if the first 64 bits of an address
contain the routing information (called a routing "prefix" in
IPv6), we would say that it is a /64 prefix.

Does both representation have same meaning ? More specifically i will like
to know whether the Ipv6 subnetting is similar to ipv4 or differs ? Any RFC
or document pertaining to this ??
IPv6 subnetting is basically identical to IPv4 subnetting.

The addressing architecture document describes this in more
detail.  The latest version can be found at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-11.txt

Regards,
Margaret