Jari - I liked the way your text was explicit about the consequences of not obtaining a global address through DHCP when no stateless autoconfig prefixes are advertised:

Nodes that do not implement DHCP may become unable to
communicate outside the link when their routers advertise
stateful autoconfiguration and no prefixes suitable
for stateless autoconfiguration are offered.

Not knowing the background of all readers of the doc, it might be good to put your explicit warning in the text:

An IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of DHCP will be
unable to obtain any IPv6 addresses aside from link-local addresses
when it is connected to a link over which it receives a router
advertisement with the 'M' flag (Managed address configuration) set
and which contains no prefixes advertised for Stateless Address
Autoconfiguration (see section 4.5.2). In this situation, the IPv6
Node will be unable to communicate with other off-link nodes.

And, I can live with MAY as long as this text is included.

- Ralph

Ralph, your text is fine. I didn't realize you already
had it there. Anyway, as long as a note roughly with
the contents we have been discussing appears, I'm OK
with it...

Jari

Do you suggest this text in addition to or replacing the following text from my original draft:
An
IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of DHCP will be
unable to obtain any IPv6 addresses aside from link-local addresses
when it is connected to a link over which it receives a router
advertisement with the 'M' flag (Managed address configuration) set
and which contains no prefixes advertised for Stateless Address
Autoconfiguration (see section 4.5.2).
- Ralph
FTP archive: ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng