Roy - thanks for noticing the omission of manually configured addresses. Your revised text looks fine to me.

- Ralph

At 11:07 AM 2/7/2003 -0500, Roy Brabson wrote:
> Not knowing the background of all readers of the doc, it might be good
> put your explicit warning in the text:
>
>    An IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of DHCP will be
>    unable to obtain any IPv6 addresses aside from link-local addresses
>    when it is connected to a link over which it receives a router
>    advertisement with the 'M' flag (Managed address configuration) set
>    and which contains no prefixes advertised for Stateless Address
>    Autoconfiguration (see section 4.5.2).  In this situation, the IPv6
>    Node will be unable to communicate with other off-link nodes.

This isn't strictly true - a node may use manually configured global or
site-local IPv6 addresses and still be able to communicate with off-link
nodes.  Maybe the first sentence should be updated to indicate the node
will not be able to dynamically obtain any IPv6 addresses, as an IPv6 may
be statically assigned to a node, and the last sentence to indicate a node
will require manual configuration in the absence of DHCP support when
Stateless Address Autoconfiguration is not being used?  Something like:

   An IPv6 node that does not include an implementation of DHCP will be
   unable to dynamically obtain any IPv6 addresses aside from
   link-local addresses when it is connected to a link over which it
   receives a router advertisement with the 'M' flag (Managed address
   configuration) set and which contains no prefixes advertised for
   Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (see section 4.5.2).  In this
   situation, the IPv6 Node will be unable to communicate with other
   off-link nodes unless a global or site-local IPv6 address is
   manually configured.

Roy