Why don't you simply make this a requirement? I have heard many times
that issue about the convexity although I don't remember opposition to
coupling the site boundaries with the AS or routing area.

We probably would have... Except that around the time that we actually formulated the correct solution, the WG started doubting the validity of site-border routers and started considering various alternatives for limiting site-local usage.

The scoped addressing architecture has basically been on-hold ever
since, waiting for us to make up our collective minds about site-locals.

If the consensus to deprecate them does not hold, I'm not quite sure
what we are going to do...  We certainly don't have consensus to do
any further work on site-locals, and it isn't clear how we can
ever finalize the scoped addressing architecture without some type
of decision on this issue.  Perhaps we can break out the non-contentious
parts and advance those parts?

Well, we'll see what happens...

Margaret