I'll go for B, or perhaps A.9 (i.e. a version of B in which
we avoid recursive normative references between the two documents).

I don't think we help anyone by delaying the deprecation until a
new solution is "in operational practice." Deprecation doesn't mean
switching off; it just means a strong statement about future
switching off. So there is no reason to wait as in C.

Personally I would happily accept A, but it isn't worth a fight.

   Brian

Brian E Carpenter
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM

NEW ADDRESS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> PLEASE UPDATE ADDRESS BOOK