Jim,

I'm not arguing that general-purpose apps should do anything special to
support link-local addresses.  For the most part, I doubt they'll ever
see them, since link-local addresses won't be in the DNS.

But then again, I don't think that most apps need to do anything to
discourage their use with link-local addresses.  A standard server
listening on some TCP port, accepting connections, and just chatting
with the peer over that stream, doesn't need to care whether the client
is using a global or a link-local address.  TCP will remember the
scope-id internally as part of the endpoint.  The app never even sees
it.  And if the app does extract the address via getpeername or
whatever, it'll get the scope-id as part of the sockaddr_in6.  If it
subsequently opens another connection to the peer using that
sockaddr_in6, it'll connect to correct peer.  So I think the existence
of link-local addresses is a non-issue for most of the world's
application writers.

The only potential concern I see here is with apps that are specifically
designed to be ad-hoc apps.  How does the initiating node get the
link-local address of its peer in the first place, since link-local
addresses are not in the DNS?  Others have pointed to LLMNR as being
designed for this purpose, or maybe some other type of discovery
mechanism will be used.

Regardless of that issue, I think proper link-local support is a major
selling point for IPv6.  The ad-hoc scenario using link-local addresses
is another place where IPv6 has a much better story than IPv4.  In the
IPv4 world, multiple OS vendors are today shipping a solution where if
the machine doesn't hear a DHCP server it goes into an "ad-hoc" mode
where it creates an address in the 169.254/16 space.  With only 16 bits
of numbering space for nodes, the possibility of collisions is much
greater than for IPv6.  And the lack of a scope-id field in the
sockaddr_in means that if nodes on two links do collide, another IPv4
node on both of those links has no way to disambiguate the two.  IPv6
handily solves this problem today.

--Brian