Paul Hoffman writes:
> >I think the REDIRECT mechanism is of limited use if you can only
> >redirect to another gateway for which the mobile node already has a
> >PAD entry.
>
> Hmm. That was not clear to me from the document, but I could have
> missed it. What do others think about this statement?

I didn't get that from the draft. The current draft does not mention
anything about PAD, and doing dynamic updates to PAD (or SPD) is
something that must be explicitly mentioned if such things are
supposed to happen, as they have lots of security implications
(overwriting existing rules, to which location dynamic rules are added
in the ordered PAD/SPD, what information is exactly put there).

On the other hand I do not think the REDIRECT mechanism will be that
much in limited use, even if the PAD entries must be configured.

The mobile node requires PAD entry for the first gateway anyways, and
if that PAD entry identifies the group of peers instead that one peer,
and provides authentication data for each peer (for example say that
they are authenticated using certificates signed by CA X).

Depending on the configuration this can still be done quite easily.
Example could be that PAD define ID must be *.sgw.example.com. and the
peer must authenticate itself using certificate signed by CA X. Then
first gateway can provide ID sgw1.sgw.example.com and it can redirect
client to server, which then will use ID sgw2.sgw.example.com, and
that will still match the same PAD entry. Both gateways will use
certificates provided by the same CA so their authentication
information is same.