Hi Pasi,

I spent about three days thinking about this, but still couldn't
conclude on anything. I am cc'ing Jari, since I thought he would
interested in this topic and have some comments.

As you observed, Mobile IPv6 does allows the mobile node to discover a
Home Agent dynamically (See RFC 5026, RFC 4877 and
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc) and then create the
corresponding PAD and SPD entries. We obviously do not convey what sort
of authentication mechanism should be used with the gateway. It is
assumed that the mobile node knows which authentication mechanism to use
(based on the deployment) and store this information in the newly
created PAD entry.

The use of DNS and DHCPv6 is allowed for discovering a home agent's
address/FQDN. The discovery mechanisms based on DNS and DHCPv6 can be
secured, but the secure form of these mechanisms might not be used
always. So it is possible that you do end up with an insecure discovery
mechanism creating new PAD and SPD entries on the mobile node. I never
considered this a big deal, since the mobile node does authenticate the
newly discovered home agent anyway. I also think the policy on the
mobile node should be such that this discovery of a home agent should
not modify existing PAD/SPD entries created using manual configuration,
or some other configuration that results in persistent config state on
the mobile node.

I don't agree with the restriction that the original gateway and the new
gateway should have the same IDr. That is too restrictive. For example,
it should be possible for gw1 to redirect the client to gw2, with the
two gateways having two distinct FQDNs.

It is okay with me to recommend similar authentication mechanisms for
the original and new gateways. But I would prefer not use a 'MUST' here.
There could be scenarios where a different gateway means a different
authentication mechanism. We should of course add some text in the
security considerations section warning about REDIRECTs resulting in
lower security with the new gateway.

Note that gateway-initiated redirect (section 5) is protected by the
IKEv2 SA. It is not the same as the REDIRECT message that the client
receives in the IKE_SA_INIT response. So we can't say that all REDIRECT
messages are insecure.

I will not be able to resolve this in the version I am going to be
submitting in the next couple of hours. I hope we can resolve this in
the next few days. I will post another temporary version of the draft
once we conclude on this issue.

Regards,
Vijay