Yaron Sheffer writes:
> The exact same thing applies to the gateway-to-gateway situation. Suppose
> Gateway C initiated an IKE SA with gateway A. Two hours later GW C goes into
> maintenance, so it asks GW A to redirect into Gateway D. GW A cannot just
> initiate a connection to D, because it doesn't know that it needs to until
> told by GW C. And it doesn't matter who initiated the SA in the first place.

When C goes to the maintenance, it will also change routing so that
packets which used to come to him, will go to D. Immediately when
first such packet gets to D, the D will initiate connection to A, so C
can simply change the routing, and then delete all IKE SAs.

> Yes, there is some routing/tunneling magic going on "behind" the gateways,
> but why should we rely on it to initiate the IKE redirection, when we have
> the mechanism defined in the current draft?

Mostly because redirections gets very complicated if both ends can
move at will... For example what happens if the gateway A is rebooted,
while C is still down. Now C will not reply with redirect to D, thus
we still need to rely on some other external mechanism to redirect
stuff from C to D, i.e. most likely both of them are configured in the
configuration, so A will know that it can connect either C or D.

When we were writing MOBIKE, we noticed that things gets very
complicated very quickly if such scenarios are allowed, and in that
case you cannot really expect the systems to just work, you still need
to write new document profiling how nodes should be configured and
used in such cases.

If we are going to need such profile anyways to get usable protocol,
we can write protocol extension at the same time which profiles
redirect to be used in gw-gw scenarios and also extends and defines
how it should be used in that case.

We have way too many protocols already where the actual protocol
document does not provide interoperability. The documents are so wide
open, that nobody implements all the optional things (or not even all
the mandatory to implement things), thus you cannot just take two
implementations and assume they work together on your specific
scenario. In those cases you need to write profile that tells what
features are required, and then you might get interoperability
(provided you will find any implementations fulfilling those
requirements).

My proposal was to say that we do not define that usage in this
document, but it is not explicitly forbidden either, so we assume that
if such usage is needed, new document extending this one will be written.