Narayanan, Vidya writes:
> This is really just a terminology issue.  Most of the use cases in
> that document are applicable to resumption.  In fact, the current
> solution for resumption is based on what was produced as a result of
> that problem statement (combined with Yaron's draft at the time),
> with the ability to exchange failover gateway candidates removed.
> In other words, we are not handling anything specific to failovers,
> but, prior to this charter and WG, "failover" included resumption in
> the work we did.

Main thing between resumption and failover is that resumption assumes
you reconnect back to same host, as in failover you can reconnect to
another host. I myself consider resumption as subset of the failover
cases, i.e. failover cover more things than what resumption itself
covers.

Note, that charter explictly mentions that the resumption can also be
to the cluster of closely cooperating gateways, but cooperating
protocols inside that cluster are not part of the our scope.

> > while you are doing DHCP + IKE_SESSION_RESUME etc on the
> > WLAN, thus only thing that is affected is that traffic moves 100ms
> > later from cellular to WLAN.
>
> And, btw, WLAN is only one type of untrusted network - other
> scenarios may be cellular-to-cellular handoffs in roaming scenarios,
> cellular to WiMAX handoffs, etc. In some of these cases, there are
> even RF limitations if you are using a single radio, multi-mode
> chipset.  I'd prefer that we keep the discussion on the RF systems
> itself out and see what best we can do with our protocols.

With WLAN and so on I do not think the problem is the RF part, I think
it is the DHCP and so on part. For example in IETF it usually takes me
about 10 seconds to just to get DHCP address when I first time connect
to the network (for some reason it seems the servers always answer
only after 2-3 retries). I have not really seen WLAN networks that
offer anywhere near the subsecond connection times you seem to assume
here.

It might be true in the cellular-to-cellular handoffs, but do you
really use IPsec and resumption on such environments. I would expect
mobike would be much better used there, as if you need IPsec for one
cellular network, you might as well do it always.

> Obviously, the firewalls need to be handled properly if the operator
> wants this to work - so, that is not the primary issue.

If you start to talk about WLANs, then you are not talking about
operators, you are talking about random basestations someone has set
up somewhere. I can assume network operators to configure their boxes
properly, I cannot really assume random home user for setting their
WLAN basestation properly.

> I don't understand what you mean by "not forward any other traffic"
> in your description of the attack. The attacker does not have the
> keys to decipher any of the actual packets.

The thing that makes replay attacks harder is that attacker does not
get the ticket he could replay. If you walk around on the street and
see some random WLAN named "open wifi" and your phone decides to see
if it works, and gets DHCP address, and after that tries resumption to
gateway, you just sent that ticket to attacker. Attacker will then
take that packet from the air, or from the basestation, and use it to
attack, i.e. after he takes that packet and sends it to gataway (for
example with fake source IP, so return packets never reach you), then
your ticket is killed, and your accounts billing started going.

> The only thing the attacker can do is replay a ticket *after* it has
> already been sent by the client - in this case, we already talked
> about some limited backend state the gateway can maintain to limit
> the impact due to replays.

Yes, after client sent the ticket, but that does not mean server ever
got that ticket from client. I.e if the "fake" WLAN is set up so it
will drop all UDP port 500/4500 packets, you never get any IPsec
resumption on that network, but you still assume your ticket is valid
as for your point of view it was never used. The attacker can see that
ticket, and can then mount the attack.

Or it could be that the WLAN is set up to allow any UDP packets out,
but only "known" UDP packets in (dns and nothing else). In this case
you yourself make the attack, i.e. you kill your ticket by sending it
to the server, but server's reply never reaches you, so you still
think you have not used the ticket, but server has done that.

> The protocol does allow for IP address changes and also allows the
> client to request a new IP address from the gateway for its internal
> IP address - do you see a reason why this doesn't work?

Other than the fact that draft does not mention it, no. As an
implementor, I would add checks that IP address must be same, as there
is no mention that IP-addresses could change. Also I would not send
NAT detection payloads, as they are not mentioned in the draft.

If such feature is wanted, it MUST be specified in the document too.
Do not assume implementors guess correctly.