Hi,

I'd personally like to see the "Next Header" field retained in the WESP header.
It becomes extremely easy for the ASICs (even off the shelf ones like Broadcom,
Wintegra, etc) to look at a fixed offset in the packet for a particular byte
pattern and decide on what it needs to do with that packet. By removing the
"Next Header" it becomes quite difficult to do this in the fast path unless one
has customized ASICs used in their Hardware.

In our current implementation it is trivial to add a HW filter which says the
following:

Drop all WESP traffic if its carrying TCP to port 8008 (we could also specify
the source/dest IP)

This is possible because I know exactly where to look at in the incoming packet
and decide based on that.

Is there a strong reason for doing away with the "Next Header" field in the
WESP header as was suggested some time back?

Cheers, Manav