There are a lot of boxes deployed in the field that cant do what you seem to be
suggesting.

If we are to pick up the "Next Header" from the ESP trailer then we need to
parse the entire packet with the variability in the ICV length. This would
entail storing the entire IPv4/Ipv6 packet (coming at line rate) in the
silicon's buffer which would need to be really large. Not many boxes would be
able to do that. However, if we specify the "Next Header" in the WESP header
than most HWs capable of deep inspecting the first 128 bytes would be able to
discern the packet.

Is there an issue in keeping "Next Header" in the WESP header? I see an
advantage in doing so. Would like to hear arguments against it!

Cheers, Manav