Yes to both questions.

But I'd also like to question the process being followed. We've discussed these
points numerous times
in f2f meetings, on the mailing list, at virtual interims, etc. So I'm
surprised to see the already
established consensus being questioned all over again. Some of the arguments
claim lack of
attention, whereas they have been intense and prolific discussions on WESP, and
thankfully so
(e.g., including but not limited to spawning of Tero's heuristics draft and
the motivation for the modified ICV coverage to address Steve's comment).

But even if folks had not paid attention, that is no excuse for derailing the
process.

I disagree that WESP encryption is out of scope. It certainly is.

There is a need per the charter for a mechanism to
"easily and reliably" determine the type of traffic. Within an organization, it
would be much easier to use
WESP encryption as an alternative to ESP. If one sees ESP packets, then one
would have to run heuristics
with all the pertaining issues as explained in Manav's recent message, and
higher cost associated
(particularly, in stateless high aggregation points). WESP with encryption
support would allow an
organization to simplify rules and inspection devices. Sure, the WESP header
adds more bytes, but the
tradeoff is that there is no need for costly heuristics throughout the network.
Without WESP encryption,
the charter item does not have a complete solution.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying that WESP is a general replacement for ESP. As
Steve Kent points out,
where there are no trusted intermediary inspection devices (i.e., outside of
medium to large organizations)
there is no need for end-nodes to collaborate with the inspecting
infrastructure, hence no need for
WESP. ESP is fine. Perhaps this is the disconnect that is happening:
traditionally, the focus of the IPsec
WG has been on such external applications (VPN), whereas WESP and future
potential
extensibility is more valuable within organizations. Such value may not be as
obvious to VPN folks.

Gabriel