I fully agree that a consensus call is an integral part of the IETF process.

But what we're seeing here is not one but a plurality of consensus calls.

I would have expected the response to the IESG to be: yes, this was the
consensus arrived
in the WG at time X, here are further details, etc.

What we're seeing is: oh, ok, let's do it all over again.