We can't really prescribe actions for (presumably older) implementations that
don't support this spec.

Such implementations will do what it says in RFC 4306 and the clarifications
document: TEMPORARY_FAILURE is an error notification, so therefore the exchange
failed. In that case the old SA remains until this or the other end deletes it.
If the other side has rekeyed, we're fine.