See my earlier mail exchange with Tero. That section is descriptive, not
prescriptive, and we should describe why the (new) message sequence works fine
with older clients, even though they obviously don't support the new
notification. What you say below may be sufficient: there's stale state lying
around, but both sides still agree on the correct IKE SA to use.

Thanks,
        Yaron