Paul,

> What does "Implementations SHOULD be capable of generating and
accepting all of these types" mean?

It's hair-splitting time ...

> To assure maximum interoperability, implementations MUST be
configurable to send at least one of
> ID_IPV4_ADDR, ID_FQDN, ID_RFC822_ADDR, or ID_KEY_ID, and MUST be
configurable to accept all of these
> types.

Short version: MUST be able to send at least *1*, accept all *4*.

> Implementations SHOULD be capable of generating and accepting all of
these types.

Short version: In addition, SHOULD be able to send all *4*.

The SHOULD for "accepting" is redundant with the previous MUST, but the
SHOULD for "generating" is broader.

[... snip ...]

> If it means all the listed types, the sentence should be changed to
"Implementations SHOULD
> also be capable of generating ID_IPV6_ADDR, ID_DER_ASN1_DN, and
ID_DER_ASN1_GN."

Which I think amounts to a SHOULD for certificate support.  Is there a
good reason to go there?

Thanks,
--David

Of Paul Hoffman
> Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 8:49 PM
> To: IPsecme WG
> Subject: [IPsec] Issue #156: SHOULD generate and accept which types?
>
> Section 3.5 lists a bunch of ID types (ID_IPV4_ADDR, ID_FQDN,
ID_RFC822_ADDR, ID_IPV6_ADDR,
> ID_DER_ASN1_DN, ID_DER_ASN1_GN, and ID_KEY_ID), and then says:
>
> Two implementations will interoperate only if each can generate a type
of ID acceptable to the other.
> To assure maximum interoperability, implementations MUST be
configurable to send at least one of
> ID_IPV4_ADDR, ID_FQDN, ID_RFC822_ADDR, or ID_KEY_ID, and MUST be
configurable to accept all of these
> types. Implementations SHOULD be capable of generating and accepting
all of these types. IPv6-capable
> implementations MUST additionally be configurable to accept
ID_IPV6_ADDR. IPv6-only implementations
> MAY be configurable to send only ID_IPV6_ADDR.
>
> What does "Implementations SHOULD be capable of generating and
accepting all of these types" mean? It
> can't mean the four just listed, because that list of four comes with
MUSTs. If it means all the