Hi Pasi,

Pasi Eronen writes:

> > And I want to raise one more issue. Section 4 mandates support
> > for both PKIX and preshared key for conformant implementation.
> > Isnt't it too strong requirement?
> <snip>
>
> This requirement has been in the document for 4+ years.
>
> Unless there is concrete evidence of multiple implementors
> encountering difficulties with it (and not just hypothetical
> garage door openers), I would propose *not* re-visiting this
> topic at this time.

The main problem is not in the requirement for PKIX support per se
(althouth it seems to be too much for small implementation).
The problem is in requirement for particular algorithm - RSA.
I understand, that RSA is widely used, but there may
be situations when it is unavailable for some reason.
For example, here in Russia all state organizations
are not allowed to use RSA and must use only
GOST 3410-2001 signature algorithm. I suspect the
same situation may take place in other countries as well.

>From my point of view, it is better to move all requirements
for particular algorithm support from RFC4306 to RFC4307,
where most of them already resides. That will allow
building implementations conformant to RFC4306 with
any set of algorithms (as protocol itself is completely
algorithm independent), while RFC4307 will list those
algorithms which will provide "universal" interoperability.

Regards,
Valery Smyslov.