> > So, I think it is better to rely on RFC4301 here and leave 3rd bullet
out.

> That also works for the GCM and CCM examples because their necessary
details
> are already specified in the GCM and CCM RFCs.  GCM and CCM actually take
salt
> values for nonces (as opposed to the nonces themselves from the generated
keying
> material.  The RFCs for these two transforms are carefully written to
specify
> that one larger chunk of keying material is taken and then divided into
salt
> and key (see RFC 4106, Section 8.1 and RFC 4309, Section 7.1).
>
> What this means is that from the point of view of how the generated keying
> material is consumed, a GCM or CCM salt is logically part of a larger
> encryption key.

Yes, I know it. Probably my example was a bit misleading. I meant that if
some
future protocol consumes key bits for purposes other than encryption or
authentication
(for example, some compression algorithm that needs to be initialized with
unpredictable
data), the 3rd bullet from RFC4306 will not work.

And, I think, it is better to rely on text from RFC4301 from architectural
point of view:
IKE defines rules for deriving keys for child SAs from keying material
(treating each child
SA key as one entity), and protocol specifications define rules for deriving
individual
keys from that child SA key (currently RFC4301 defines such rule for ESP and
AH).

Regards,
Valery Smyslov.