NHRP is a generic protocol that converts overlay addresses in any address
family into transport addresses in any address family. The protocol works over
NBMA meaning that it can work over virtually anything (i.e. no exuberant
requirements).

There is a clean layer separation and NHRP does not need to "speak" IPsec as
you say (whatever that means).

        fred