On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Frederic Detienne <f...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Can you please explain your point about transport mode being bad ? We do not
> see any problem with it in real world deployments. It is quite the opposite
> actually.

RFC4301, section 4.1 has some text on this, though, quite frankly, I
don't think there's any reason not to use transport mode in end-to-end
and end<->GW communications, and also, for the latter, no reason that
using an IP tunnel inside transport mode ESP shouldn't work just fine
(Dan McDonald used this approach for a VPN system at Sun Microsystems
[RIP]).

> I agree that AH is a hindrance, especially that it protects the non-mutable
> fields of the IP header and therefor prevents NAT and ToS re-marking. I.e.
> the main difference between AH and ESP_NULL is really this outer IP header
> protection which is detrimental in most practical networks.

Yes, this is why we all dislike AH.

Nico