On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Frederic Detienne wrote:

Can you please explain your point about transport mode being bad ? We do not
see any problem with it in real world deployments. It is quite the opposite
actually.

I meant the kludge where transport mode (host-host) has to deal with NAT-T
where the inner IP of the client
is used, making it kinda a tunnel mode ( internalip/32-host-host)

I agree that AH is a hindrance, especially that it protects the non-mutable
fields of the IP header and therefor prevents NAT and ToS re-marking. I.e. the
main difference between AH and ESP_NULL is really this outer IP header
protection which is detrimental in most practical networks.

Yes. we've seen cellphone manufacturors that use Linux specifically patching
Openswan KLIPS to allow ToS rewriting.

Paul