Hello all!

I would like to thank everyone for the much enlightening discussion.

>From what I've gathered from the discussion and the documents that
have been referred is that ESP provides the same level of security in
the IPv6 unicast transport mode case, with one exception:

ESP doesn't protect the immutable parts of the IPv6 header nor those
of any extension header. Both source as well as IP destination field
can be verified by comparing them to the information found in the
associated SA's traffic selector, but extension headers can be added,
removed and altered at will. It's clear that this security hole can be
used in malicious ways, the only question is how much trouble an
attacker could cause. Is there anyone who could come up with an
example of a nasty attack?

As for the (apparently widely held) belief that transport mode is
redundant I would like to voice my opinion in defense of it: Tunnel
mode incurs an overhead due to the extra IP header. In the case of
IPv6 that overhead will be over 40 bytes and will hardware resources
as well as bandwidth. Ferguson and Schneier proposes a compression
scheme (section "Protocols") for reducing this overhead, but that
suggestion is tantamount to proposing a new mode and would take much
time and work to introduce in the current implementations.

Regards,
Vilhelm Jutvik