OK.

Routing protocols are not security protocols. That's fine. Neither is HTTP.

BGPSEC and SIDR implement a layer of security on top of BGP to overcome this
issue, and that may be used in the Internet.

OSPF and NHRP are designed to be used in closed environments (corporate
networks), where everyone is assumed to be "playing nice", so there has never
been as much requirement for a security layer, and in fact there is no security
layer to NHRP.

When you extend NHRP to an overlay network over the Internet, as you do with
GRE, you are still fine as long as everybody "plays nice". With the obvious
example of a corporate network with tunnels to the branches in New York,
London, Paris, and Shang-hai you're still fine, because all the gateways are
configured by the same person or organization, or at least they are part of the
same hierarchy, although by this point you may need to be worried about
misconfiguration.

With a multiple-administrative-domain use case, all bets are off. What would
prevent a gateway anywhere from claiming responsibility for the addresses of
the facebook.com server?  That would cause several bad things:
 - that gateway gets access to all facebook traffic in the entire overlay
network
 - all the gateways have to work extra hard encrypting facebook content for no
reason at all.

This is a real problem regardless of whether we use IPsec tunnels or GRE
tunnels. Neither IKE nor NHRP has a secure routing layer. Whichever solution we
pick (as a working group) we will still need to develop a security layer, which
may or may not be based on what the BGP people are doing.

This is especially important for cross-domain use cases, but would be very
helpful for same-domain as well.

Yoav