Hi Yoav:

Thank you for your email. Regarding to your question on "what is the
malicious FAP lying about", I would like to give you some further
background. In real femto deployment, not every mobile terminal is allowed
to attach via an FAP. In fact, in the real deployment, there are 3 kinds
of FAPs: open mode FAP, close mode FAP, and hybrid mode FAP. The open mode
means that the FAP is open to everyone, close mode means the FAP only
allows a closed group of members to access, and the hybrid mode means that
the FAP is open to everyone, but only a closed group of members will have
higher priority or have authority to visit certain resources.

According to some SDO (e.g. 3GPP), the access control of the mobile
terminals attaching via a FAP is done in core network, thus, it is the
core network that decide whether the mobile terminal can attach to an FAP.
In order to help the core network make decision on whether the mobile
terminal can attach to an FAP, the FAP needs to send information, such as
the mode of the FAP, and the allowed member group of the FAP, to the core
network. A compromised FAP could send false mode and false allowed member
group to the core network, so that a not allowed mobile terminal could be
allowed by the core network.

I wish the above clarification helps you understand the problem.

Regarding to the term notarized, since I am green to this group, I am not
sure, do you prefer to replace the notarize with signature? Please let me
know, thank you!

BR
Zaifeng

Yoav Nir <y...@checkpoint.com>
2012-01-21 15:30

收件人
"<zong.zaif...@zte.com.cn> <zong.zaif...@zte.com.cn>"
<zong.zaif...@zte.com.cn>
抄送
"ipsec@ietf.org" <ipsec@ietf.org>
主题
Re: [IPsec] [IPSec]: New Version Notification for
draft-zong-ipsecme-ikev2-cpext4femto-00.txt

Hi Zaifeng

Reading your draft, I'm trying to understand the problem you are solving.
It is about the FAP being compromised and sending false information
through the tunnel.

What is the malicious FAP lying about?
How does sending some information (does "notarized" mean "signed"?) from
the SeGW to the (compromised) FAP help?

One general comment: "notarized" is a legal term, similar to "signature".
Although there is some analogy between the legal concept of signature and
the digital signatures, such analogies only go so far. Using such a
borrowed term has IMHO led to more confusion than clarity. I would rather
not use legal terms in protocols (although "protocol" is also a borrowed
term)