At 4:39 PM +0800 1/29/12, zong.zaif...@zte.com.cn wrote:
Hi Stephen, Tricci:

Sorry that I didn't respond this email on time due to the chinese spring festival. I would like to thank Stephen first for reviewing the draft and giving me your suggestions.

no problem. Happy New Year.

From reading Stephen's email, if my understanding is correct, you assumed that SeGW will pass some information to the core network in order that the core network can verify the "notarized" FAP information? And you think that the information exchange betwen SeGW and the core network is a big change to IKE, is this correct understanding of your email?

not quite. I was wrong to suggest that the SecGW sent the signed data directly to the core network. The data that the SecGW signs is presented by the FAP to the core network. My principle concern is that it is inappropriate to use an IKE payload to transport data to be signed, and then the signed data, when the consumer of this data is not IPsec. IKE payloads are used to convey data needed to create and manage SAs, including key material, data for authentication, etc. This signed data appears to be for authorization decisions effected by some element of the core network, outside of the IPsec SA itself.

I understand that this configuration based assumption may have some limits, I think that to generate a cert by the SeGW and send it to the FAP and then from the FAP to the core network is a good implementation option. Perhaps I should make the CP flexible enough to adapt to all the implementation options. If you have any good idea on how the CP should be designed, could you kindly give me your suggestion?

I don't want to suggest design options for you, as I am not familiar with
the environment in which you are working. Also, lots of flexibility may not be a good ideas in a secruity context. I'm merely suggesting that using IKE payloads seems inappropriate for what I believe you are trying to do, based on reading one very brief document.

Steve