Again, this issue was based on Michael Richardson's March 12 email, which said:

The dual trunk scenario should perhaps be further motivated and
clarified.  Are there some situations where a spoke should not contact
another spoke directly, but in fact should contact a hub closer to the
other spoke.  I can see some solutions where a hub would not have
complete knowledge of the mesh, and so would in fact simply punt a
connection closer.

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

I think that Michael is asking an important question. There are many ways to
solve the P2P VPN problem. One way is to have satellites with little
configuration that connect to core gateways with lots of dynamic information. A
core gateway (a "hub" in Michael's parlance) can download things to a satellite
(maybe a new SPD and PAD, credentials, etc.), thus causing some traffic from
the satellite to be sent to a different core gateway or satellite. In that
circumstance, I think Michael's question is about whether the core gateway that
a satellite initially connects (which I'll call the "initial core gateway") to
should be expected to have or obtain all the information needed to configure
the satellite or whether the initial core gateway can send the satellite to
another core gateway where it can get more information. At least, that's how I
understand Michael's question. Perhaps he can affirm or deny this
interpretation.

Personally, I think that this question is premature. It presupposes too much
about the eventual solution. That's why I think it should be answered in the
solution not included in the problem statement. Apparently, Yaron doesn't agree
with me. I'd like to hear more from him on this matter. Does he believe that
all solutions to this problem (or at least all the good ones) must necessarily
employ the model that I described above? What about a solution that doesn't
rely on core gateways to refer satellites but instead has satellites querying
for the information that they need? Or one that has some external entity (not
the core gateway) configuring the satellites? In my view, there may be many
possible P2P VPN solutions. However, I'm not an IPsec expert. Maybe this is the
only practical approach. I'd like to hear views from Yaron and from others on
this topic.

Thanks,

Steve