On 3/21/12 11:30 PM, Yoav Nir wrote:
So if one or both of the VPN peers are behind NAT, we need some
3rd-party or parties to broken the NAT traversal. We need:
- a STUN (or STUN-like) server for punching the hole
- storage for the discovered address and port
In SIP these functions are done by the SBC.

To be clear, NAT traversal mechanisms are not part of SIP, per se,
although they're frequently deployed in telephony environments.
The STUN mechanism was originally developed by some folks at ?Atari?
to support gaming, and STUN is not coupled to SIP - it can be
used by other protocols, as well.  That said, it's a pretty
ghastly protocols as protocols go, and provides no protections itself
against spoofed responses.  There's a dependence on peer authentication
by the application that invokes STUN, which is a pretty safe bet in
the VPN context and probably isn't a show-stopper even if it is a
little ill-making.

However, STUN is not the only approach (just the cheesiest).  midcom
and nsis provide the means to do direct requests between an endpoint
and a middlebox (NAT/firewall).  pcp is currently working on something
similar.  This is arguably a more robust, secure approach but it does
require support from the firewalls/NAT, not just the application.

Melinda