Hi Dan

I have no opinion about the level of review needed for changes to IKEv1, and I
share your unhappiness with the way PAKE turned out.

If I had to guess the reasons for the slow adoption of IKEv2, I would guess
that it's because IKEv1 (with XAuth/hybrid, Config, odd-numbered messages, and
poor PSK support for mobile peers) just works. The big vendors have at least
server-side support, and Microsoft has a client in Win7. I think EAP is a
hindrance, because XAuth works better with older backend servers.

Your proposal will be more secure than XAuth and require less round trips, but
won't integrate with AAA servers.  I think anyone who is going to go to the
effort of implementing this (replace or update all IKEv1 endpoints) might as
well move them to IKEv2. The big hurdle to implementing what you suggest for
remote access is that XAuth works.

What doesn't work is a gateway with a dynamic external IP address that doesn't
have a certificate. But I don't see how upgrading the gateways to support your
extension is easier than upgrading them to support IKEv2.

Yoav