On Mar 28, 2012, at 2:12 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

>    Yoav> If I had to guess the reasons for the slow adoption of IKEv2,
>    Yoav> I would guess that it's because IKEv1 (with XAuth/hybrid,
>    Yoav> Config, odd-numbered messages, and poor PSK support for mobile
>    Yoav> peers) just works. The big vendors have at least server-side
>    Yoav> support, and Microsoft has a client in Win7. I think EAP is a
>    Yoav> hindrance, because XAuth works better with older backend
>    Yoav> servers.
>
> Let me suggest that enhancements to IKEv1 are point releases, for which
> you get with your maintenance.
> But, IKEv2 is a major release, for which the customer pays again.

I don't know about other vendors, but for us IKEv2 was introduced in a version
called R71. Customers eventually do upgrade, whether it's to get IKEv2 or get
one of the other features. Similarly in Windows, customers buy Windows 7 for
the 64-bit support, or the aero interface, or for IPv6 support, and they also
get the IKEv2.

I don't think anyone is going to add new enhancements to old releases now,
unless those "enhancements" begin with the words "prevent an attack where…"