On Tue, December 11, 2012 1:36 pm, Dan Brown wrote:

> [...]

  That's interesting. Your paper "Validating EC Public Keys" (Antipa,
Brown, Menezes, Struik and Vanstone) says in section 3 that the
steps to validate an EC public key, W=(xw, yw), are:

  1. W != infinity
  2. xw and yw are properly represented elements of the finite field
  3. W satisfies the defining equation of the curve; and
  4. nW = infinity

It then says that "if h=1, then condition 4 is implied by the other
three conditions. In some protocols the check that nW = infinity may
either be embedded in the protocol computations or replaced by the
check that hW != infinity."

  Can you explain why hQ != infinity is insufficient and not equivalent
to nQ = infinity?

  thanks and best regards,

  Dan.