Valery Smyslov writes:
> The draft lists the following trasforms based on AES cipher:
>
> AES-GCM
> AES-CCM
> AES-CTR
> AES-128-CBC
> AES-GMAC
> AES-XCBC-MAC-96
>
> All these transforms, except for AES-XCBC-MAC-96,
> allows to be used with different key lengths - 128, 192 and 256 bits.
> It looks strange to me that, unlike the others, AES-128-CBC
> has key length explicitely specified in the draft. Why it differs in
> this respect from the others? What about AES-192-CBC and
> AES-256-CBC - are they also "MUST" or "MAY"? Or even "MUST NOT"? :-)

Hmm... actually we should most like use the same names we use in the
IANA registry. For example we have 3 different types of AES-GCM:

18   AES-GCM with a 8 octet ICV    [RFC4106]   [RFC5282]
19   AES-GCM with a 12 octet ICV   [RFC4106]   [RFC5282]
20   AES-GCM with a 16 octet ICV   [RFC4106]   [RFC5282]

Which one of those is the one that is moved to SHOULD+? Should we just
pick one of them, and say that it is the one we prefer, or should all
implementations implement all of them? AES-CCM has similar thing, but
as they are moving to MAY it does not really matter.

And yes, I agree the AES-128-CBC should be changed to AES-CBC. In the
RFC4305 and RFC4835 we had text like "AES-CBC with 128-bit keys", but
as we now have more AES modes, we should probably just add text saying
that for 128-bit keys for AES is MUST.

Also for AES-GMAC we need to decide which of the ones we are saying is
SHOULD+:

9       AUTH_AES_128_GMAC       [RFC4543]
10      AUTH_AES_192_GMAC       [RFC4543]
11      AUTH_AES_256_GMAC       [RFC4543]

> I think the draft should either:
> - remove explicit key length from AES-128-CBC and make it just
> AES-CBC
> - add explicit key length to all other AES-based transforms (except for
> AES-XCBC-MAC-96)

AES-XCBC-MAC-96 is always defined to be have 128-bit key. The key
length cannot be negotiated when using the authentication algorithm,
it can only be negotiated for the encryption keys. Thats why the
AUTH_AES_*_GMAC authentication algorithms are defined as 3 different
algorithms.

> - leave things as is, but explain why AES-CBC differs in this respect from
> the others

I think that is bad idea.

I think the best is to say that in general with AES encryption (GCM,
CBC, CCM etc) we assume the key length is 128-bits. (i.e. the
MUST for AES-CBC is for 128-bit keys, and the SHOULD+ for AES-GCM is
also for 128-bit keys with x octect ICV).