Mirja Kühlewind has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-ipsecme-10-00: Block

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-ipsecme/

BLOCK:

Similar to Spencer's commet I have problems understanding what the
following really means:

"To make IKE work in these environments, IKE packets need to be
encapsulated in a TCP tunnel. The group will define a mechanism to
tunnel IKE and IPsec over a TCP-based connection. This method is
intended to be used as a fallback when IKE cannot be negotiated over
UDP. The group will create a method where IKEv2 and IPsec packets can
be encapsulated in the TCP connection."

Based on Tero's mail I understand how the stack looks like but that's not
clear from the text because there is not really anything like a TCP
tunnel. So the big question is, based on the stack indicated by Tero, do
you have two full TCP connections running with two congestion control
loops and retransmission mechanisms on two different endpoints? That's
nothing I would recommend.

I fully understand the need for a fallback mechanism to TCP but depending
on what you actually aim for I'm not sure if this is the right wg for it;
therefore my block for now. I hope we can resolve that quickly!