On 10/11/19 5:44 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
Robert Moskowitz <rgm-...@htt-consult.com> wrote:
     > At some point I am going to need one, as 8005 references IPSECKEY for
     > its RR and I am using EdDSA for the tm-rid work.

I was surprised at the 8005 reference to IPSECKEY, since it seemed wrong that
a IPSECKEY RR would point at some machine that was going to answer with HIP
and not IKEv2...  but now I see that you have your own RR, but share the
algorithm numbers with IPSECKEY.

there was an attitude to not maintain 2 separate number spaces.  Now I have to live with that (how would I handle the ECDH Identities for HIP-DEX which I do not belive IKE has anything similar?)

It seems that your tm-rid work can just amend this IANA registry.
If you had a WG, you could ask for an early allocation.  I don't think that
the IPSEC WG chairs could ask for an early allocation for you at this point,
alas.

The way I see it, rfc 8420 'requires' this allocation.  I suspect whatever works for 8420 will work for draft-moskowitz-hip-new-crypto.

So I am being 'nice' and asking the owners of the IPSECKEY namespace to fix what I see as a shared problem.  I really don't want to go down a path of having a tm-rid wg doing the allocation.

Bob