For those who were not in the room this evening, my comments were that the
complaints on the list about the draft fall into a couple of broad
categories:

One class basically intends to tell people how to run their networks. The
IETF defines how the protocols work, not how individual networks are run.

Another class basically ignores the reality that network managers will
deploy address space for local use, no matter what the IETF does. The IETF
can provide a place for those organizations to meet their local
requirements, or deal with the randomness that will result.

Unfortunately I had to leave at that point for a jury, so I do not know what
discussion happened related to Fred's presentation of the draft itself. One
comment I did have though was the delay of the milestone as presented by the
chairs due to comments seems inappropriate since neither Fred nor I know of
any outstanding issues. This document is detailing the reasons that
individual network managers use private address space. It really doesn't
matter if the IETF believes they are wrong, this is what they do and will
continue to do to meet their requirements. The only thing the IETF can do is
provide alternatives that are cheaper in each environment. Since consistency
plays a significant role in recurring operational costs, to achieve any
deployment, the various proposals suggesting that the IETF provide a pile of
different approaches for segments of the problem space will need to show
these network managers how such a collection is cheaper than the increased
training and generally higher clue factor of the operations staff needed to
run them.

Tony