> The distinction between routers and hosts and the criteria to separate
> between them is one which I perceive as having been well established
> in Internet technology for a Long Time.

Well, how do you qualify a PC running a software component like
Microsoft's "Internet Connection Sharing"? It appears as a host to the
ISP, and acts as a router for the local network. That software has been
available since at least 1998.

But never mind PC. How do you qualify a home NAT that appears as a host
to the ISP, get an IPv4 address using DHCP, and then appears as a router
to the local network?

There are millions of these. So what exactly is "well established"?

-- Christian Huitema