Responding one final time to my own post, I think we should forget
this business about hijacking and just use Matt's document instead:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-name-lookups-10.txt

It looks mature, well fleshed out, and has some nice features
like references to interoperable implementations.

I also wrote a document of my own that references Matt's
work and posted it to the I-D registrar. You can find a
copy in the interim at:

http://www.geocities.com/osprey67/isnoid-01.txt

Thanks - Fred
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fred Templin wrote:

Fred Templin wrote:

The two ways I see to do this are to either specify a new IPv6 ND option
(call it a "Type II Router Solicitation" for lack of a better name) or to add
bits to the existing IPv6 Router Soliciation message (e.g., in the "Reserved"
field) that indicate the type of information being solicited.

To respond to my own post, it just occurred to me there may be a least one other possibility (and probably countless others) to get the needed message types. Maybe we could hijack an unused ICMPv6 Type code from the IANA registries?

A quick look at the 'icmpv6-parameters' registry shows:

138  Router Renumbering                               [Crawford]
139  ICMP Node Information Query                      [Crawford]
140  ICMP Node Information Response                   [Crawford]

I see that the Router Renumbering option is used by RFC 2894,
but does anyone know if the other options are used anywhere?

If not, the "Node Information Query" would be a perfect fit
for the "Type II Router Solicitation" I've been asking about,
and the "Node Information Response" could be used to carry
the Route Information Options needed by:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-02.txt

instead of hacking the IPv6 Router Advertisment message format. Sounds like a win-win, doesn't it?

Matt, can you comment as to the availability of the Type codes?

Thanks - Fred