On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, marcelo bagnulo wrote:
> I mean, in the case that the packet is discarded becuase the source address
> is not compatible with the ingress filtering, the router that discards the
> packets probably knows which are the accepted prefixes, so it would be
> interesting to use the message error to inform the host about the correct
> prefix to use for this particular destination.

In general, the router does know the accepted prefixes, but the list
might be even hundreds of prefixes long, not just one prefix.

So, in general, embedding this information is not possible or
feasible.  The case of just one accepted prefix is special.  Different
question is whether it makes sense to add this information.  In any
case it could not be stronger than a MAY (IMHO), so you couldn't
depend anyone adding it, so you'd have to devise the other mechanisms
anyway.

So, it seems a bit like adding the information is not worth the effort
for the special case.