Pekka,

As I am packing for a 3.5 week trip, I don't have time to go into full
detail. I mostly disagree with you on the big points (your smaller
points are fine), but these are not new arguments anyway.

> 1) specifying just one allocator to the end-sites; this is always bad
> and prone to create monsters such as ICANN.

That's unfair language. ICANN is not a monopolist.

> It seems like that the model should be provided to support
> enough registries (e.g. 2 bit = 4 or 3 bits = 8).

It might indeed be wise for IANA to only hand out 1/8 of the space
to the first registry - that would leave flexibility to create
more if competition proved necessary.

>    Any routing protocol that is used between sites MUST filter out any
>    incoming or outgoing Local IPv6 unicast routes.  The exception to
>    this is if specific /48 IPv6 local unicast routes have been
>    configured to allow for inter-site communication.

I do agree this is badly phrased - it isn't the *protocol* that
does the filtering, it's the default router config. Just as NATs
are shipped with an effective "deny all" configured, IPv6 routers
should be shipped with "deny FC00::/7" configured.

And it's because so many corporate security solutions now depend
on that effective "deny all", much as you and I may hate it, that
we need this.

You can certainly deny by default. A site that wants to use FC00::/7
internally or on VPNs can enable it where needed.

   Brian

Brian E Carpenter
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM

*** I will be on vacation February 3-25, 2004 ***