> Well, I just feel quite uncertain of the current model -- we're
> basically telling IANA to find someone to build a monopoly by selling
> IP addresses.  Not so different from what RIRs do, of course, but at
> least they pretend the addresses don't cost anything.  Here we WANT
> them to cost money.  Monopolies and money for (pretty much) nothing
> seems like a bad idea.

I am also not sure that the specification should mention monetary
exchanges. It should be sufficient to mention the operational goal, i.e.
make sure that addresses are not hoarded and/or wasted.

> The only thing that seems to cost a significant amount of money in the
> proposal is to have a possibility to get the addresses over phone,
> fax, or whatever -- so that they cannot be processed automatically.

If the goal is just to prevent hoarding, then there are several
alternatives to monetary exchanges. The registry could implement a
"human test" to check that the numbers are actually requested by a human
being rather than a machine. The registry could also require solving a
computer puzzle of some kind, to attach a computing cost to the request.

-- Christian Huitema