Tim Chown wrote:
>With 1,000 billion entries, it might also become a large database...

The allocation bitmap would be 128GiB.  That fits onto one current
commodity hard disk.  Are we really quibbling over who's going to have
to pay for eternal reliable storage of such a trifling dataset?

When this issue was raised on one of the previous occasions, some months
ago, I considered setting up a proof-of-concept automated registry
for 36-bit random numbers (thus scaled down by a mere factor of 16)
on my home equipment.  Regrettably I never got round to doing that, but
it seems it might still be of use.  Operating such a thing might also
have useful lessons for the operation of the eventual prefix registry.
Thoughts, anyone?

-zefram