Hi Dave,

As we talked this moning about this issue, we thought that it might be a
good idea to discuss this in the mailing list so that others can express
their opinion too.

As one of the top 3 firewall/NAT/IDP vendors, our experience with load
sharing is very bad. It's only good for router-switch only environment.
For security gateways with any one of the functionalities as I mentioned
above, it will create some poblem here or there. This is because it
needs to see some consecutive packets, if not all, packets in the same
flow (some applications need to see it in both directions) in order to
do the correct ALG for NAT, deep packet inspection for idp, network
based Anti-Virus, which we also start to do. I completely agree with
your statement that "packet based randomized LS" is bad. For flow based
LS, we need to be vey careful about the definition of "the flow". Some
applications have different channels, such as control/signalling and
data, like FTP, VOIP (H323 or SIP), packets belong to all these channels
are better to belong to the same firewall, or some of the above
functionality may break because it needs to deal with dynamic ports in
either forward or backward directions.

The problem we have with the draft is the "MUST NOT" sent to the same
router statement. At very minimum, it should be "SHOULD" to just leave
an option for the host to turn it off if it deems necessary.

Thanks for the chat on this topic this morning.

Changming Liu
Netsceen Technologies Inc.