On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Changming Liu wrote:
> As one of the top 3 firewall/NAT/IDP vendors, our experience with load
> sharing is very bad.

For what it's worth, I've also argued stronlgy host against load
balancing.  I'm copying the major concern below.

==================
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 07:44:38 +0200 (EET)
From: Pekka Savola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: draft-ietf-ipv6-host-load-sharing-01 comments

[...]
Fundamental objection
---------------------

The document assumes that it is always desirable to do
load-sharing with the equivalent routers.  I don't agree with this
assumption.

If the router's capacity is sufficient so that it can forward all the
traffic sent by its nodes, there is actually very little need for load
sharing.  On the contrary -- sharing load between routers produces
difficult-to-debug scenarios when some destinations (which are distributed
to some routers) fail in mysterious ways while others work just fine.

Due to that, I, as an operator, would not wish to enable load-sharing on
hosts except when I specifically require that kind of functionality.

So, I'd propose that this document does not describe that the hosts MUST
share the load, but rather describes how the hosts MUST behave if they wish
to share the load -- and if turned on by default, require that there
MUST be a way to toggle load balancing off.  A difficult issue to settle
might be whether to recommend (and if so, how strongly) to enable
load-sharing by default.