Dave,

Lemme give this a try..

> > No matter it is active or passive open, the modem stateful will need
> > open
> > the "hole" by listening to the control channel for "port" and "pasv"
> > comamnd.
>
> You lost me here.  Since the passive open has the connection initiated
> by the client, there is no need for the firewall around the client to
> open a port based on listening to the control channel, right?

if there is a fw X on the path to the server, fw X may have to look at
the PASV response and open a hole for the subsequent data traffic
from the client. something like a dynamic (created on-the-fly) outbound
access list.

> > The hole is opened only on the firewall which is dealing the
> > control channel. If the data channel goes to another file, apparently
> this
> > will not work.
>
> I don't see why not.  It's just another outgoing TCP connection.

coz data from the client may be going thru a different device Y, which is
being blocked by the fw on that device. fw Y doesn't have the hole
to let the traffic go through.

Hope this helps.

--
Suresh