Hi Jyrki,
        Find comments inline.

Regards
Suresh

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Jyrki Soini wrote:

>The consequence is that the original Echo Request packet gets 100 000
>000 unicast Echo Reply messages back.

I do not see anything wrong with this scenario. If I send an ICMP Echo
Request to 100M nodes I MUST expect a Echo reply from 100M nodes. How
about if I sent a DATA packet, which requires an ACK, to the group by
mistake?

>Ping to multicast address has operational usage as debugging tool and
>totally disabling reply to Echo Request message sent to an IPv6
>multicast address would not be a good solution.

Agree. I would really like to have this. But if I had to choose between
probabilistic echo replies or none, I would pick none.

>I see two alternatives to limit the Echo Reply to multicast packet
>problem:
>1. Limit Echo Reply packet to only be allowed on link-scope multicast
>   echo requests.
>2. Require that hop-limit is set to for instance value 1 for the
>   Echo Reply packet.

Setting the hop limit to 1 does not help . If half my multicast group is
across a router and I DO NOT KNOW this it would become impossible
to debug multicast. So remove the SHOULD and replace it with either a MUST
or a MUST NOT.

"An Echo Reply MUST/MUST NOT be sent in response to an Echo Request
message sent to an IPv6 multicast or anycast address"

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe
this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to
this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption,
unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on
the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment,
tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.