Of Masataka Ohta
> Sent: mardi 15 juin 2004 06:06
> To: Ignatios Souvatzis
> Cc: Jari Arkko; Pascal Thubert (pthubert); IPv6 WG; Pekka Savola; Greg
Daley
> Subject: Re: WLAN (was Re: IPv6 Host Configuration of Recursive DNS
Server)

> Ignatios Souvatzis;

> >>I think that infrastructure WLAN is point (not all statsions but
> >>only the base station) to multipoint one.
>
> > Radio, yes. Network, no. The base station creates the illusion of a
> > broadcast domain.
>
> And the problem is that the illusion is not the reality.
>
> Broadcast over the domain is a lot less reliable than unicast.

I'm not sure that the question is whether ND is good or poor, OSPFv3 is
good or poor, etc... All these protocols have proven their qualities in
the context they were designed for.

On the other hand, radios open a new world of problems, some of them
specific to the type of radio, which prevents them from being
efficiently abstracted as classical broadcast media. The link
availability is generally much poorer than classical links (even WAN).
The bandwidth is changing rapidly, the error rate is several orders of
magnitude worse then usual, the connectivity is at best of the
many-to-many type etc...

For MIPv6 and DNA, we have a set of problems addressed at 802.21 about
the visibility of the various potential peers and the control of the
radio by L3. There's a lot of activity around what's being called the
radio layer 2.5; Should we change all the upper layer protocols, all the
radios, or is there a way to produce an adaptation layer between 2 and
3, which minimizes these changes... and what should the adaptation layer
be able to do?

Another aspect of this problem is ethernet itself. ND over a broadcast
medium is not at its best in terms of performance for DNA related
functionalities, such as getting an address. Not arguing we should do
PPPoE either since it's still ethernet behind; but saying that the L2
abstraction we take should be as close as possible to the radio
operation, in order to minimize the aberrations caused by the emulation,
mostly when the emulation is not needed.

In many radio cases, the closest abstraction is to be found on serial
links. .11 APs are a hub and spoke model, matching some P2MP Frame relay
networks. Other radios add a notion of polling and require a stronger
flow control, reminding of SDLC. And it would be beneficial for Public
AP to be abstracted as PPP in order to reuse all the existing AAA... and
to get an address faster, with no DAD (so that's not only DHCP, but also
DAD, referring to the discussion between Masataka-san and Greg).

Summary is I'm not sure that this discussion is the right angle for the
right problem. Sorry about that. It's not even IPv6-over-foo. It's more
like what should a new foo-link provide to L3 in order to be more usable
than radios are today, and what should it manage by itself in order to
get there - at L2.5. Hints about that are already coming from .21 and L2
meshing.

Pascal