>       i have objection to 5.4.5 "when duplicated address detection fails".
>       the text suggest that hardware-address-based linklocal address fails
>       on DAD test, "the interface SHOULD be disabled".

>       first of all, what does it mean by "disable interface"?  if the
>       interface has IPv4 addess and IPv4 packets are going through the
>       interface, should we kill IPv4 as well?  what about AppleTalk?
>       does "disable interface" require hardware disabled (turn IFF_UP to 0)
>       or only software?

As I said in my previous response, I'll concentrate on this one in
this message.

I think this is a valid question, and rfc2462bis should clarify what
"disable" means (if we agree on the current decision on "disabling"
interface, of course).

Considering the original background is that DAD failure on an
MAC address based L3 address likely means MAC address collision, the
"ideal" interpretation would be "disabling any operation of any
network protocols, including IPv4/AppleTalk/IPX/whatever".

At the same time, however, this is probably overkilling particularly
because we are basically only talking about a specific network
protocol (IPv6) in this specification, and this can be regarded as
protocol-boundary violation in that sense.

So, I personally think "disabling" only affects IPv6 network
operation.  I'd say disabling an interface means

- the node does not send any IPv6 packets on the interface
- the node silently discards any IPv6 packets, if any, received on the
  interface

This should usually mean "disabling" is performed as a software
operation, but it's an implementation-specific issue and will be out
of scope of the protocol specification document IMO.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.