Alex Conta wrote:

Are there any implementations were ICMP rate limiting is implemented separately from other protocol packets traffic management (traffic shaping)?

HP has at least one UNIX that does ICMPv6 and Mobility Header in common code, Linux does ICMPv4/v6 together on a per-route basis.

If an IP implementation has support for traffic management, the packet schedulers (traffic shaping) associated with interfaces, handle ICMP rate limiting per interface (in terms of both configuring and rate limiting) similarly to other protocol packets traffic shaping per interface.

Not true in the cases I cited.

-Brian